History of Vorhis Funeral Home
Jacob Vorhis, the founder, was born July 8th, 1830 near Loveland, Ohio. Orginally he was a farmer. He entered the undertaking business in the Village of Sharonville, Ohio in 1876. In 1888 Mr. Vorhis purchased a lot just off the northeast corner of Mill and Dunn streets in Lockland. He erected a frame building with a large livery stable and office. In the early days the funeral home operated with horse-drawn hearses and carriages. Jacob's two sons, Albert M. and Freedis P., joined their father. Freedis remained for three years after which the business became known as J. Vorhis & Son. Upon the death of Jacob Vorhis in 1897, Albert M. Vorhis took control of the business. He was assisted by his son, Frank.
Business demands became greater and in 1906, William M. Benge of Bedford, Indiana, became associated with the firm. Upon the death of Frank Vorhis in 1919, Leroy J. Russell of Lockland, Ohio entered the business. IN 1924 Albert M. Vorhis retired from daily activities and sold his interest to Mr. Benge and Mr. Russell. He remained a constant source of inspiration and assistance to them until his death in 1929.
As business trends were changing it became apparent to Messrs. Benge and Russell that funeral homes were becoming a necessity. In the fall of 1927 the old Vorhis livery barn was razed. On its site a modern structure of English Tudor architecture was erected - the present Vorhis Funeral Home at 310 Dunn Street in Lockland.
Expansion continued and in 1932 Vorhis Funeral Home opened its second location at 5501 Montgomery Road, Norwood, Ohio.
In August 1945, Leroy J. Russell bought out William M. Benge's interest. Early in 1946 Maurice F. Rabius, the son-in-law of Leroy Russell, became associated with the firm. In 1955 the son of Leroy Russell, Donald S. Russell, joined the firm.
In 1972 Vorhis Funeral Home built its third location at 11365 Springfield Pike, Springdale, Ohio. In 1978 Donald S. Russell became the president of Vorhis Funeral Homes, Inc. upon the death of his father. Donald S. Russell retired in 2004 after 49 years. He sold the business to Anthony Policastro, Grant Shorten and Mike Ryan. Vorhis Funeral Homes, Inc. is still locally owned and operated and continues to uphold its motto over the past 132 years: "Understanding, Courtesy, Service."